I can tell you I have some good news to you again: here comes Beta #3!
Get it here if you must:
I held this release back for a while just to fix the emulated cache checksum feature, but I have been chasing a bug for two weeks without any success. So, that fix is postponed to the next beta, in the meanwhile you can enjoy some significant speed enhancement and increased stability.
Without going into the details regarding the changes (see the included README for all changes) I would like to mention the most important change:
Vroom-vroomThe major feature of this beta release is the register and flag optimization fix. You can turn it on in the configuration, just set comp_optimize to true.
If you are interested in the details I explained it already how the optimization works in an earlier post, but in case you are too lazy to read through that post: here is my old diagram (just because it is beautiful, you know):
|Code translation flow diagram|
Let me summarize it for you: the JIT compiler is collecting information about data-flow dependencies between the various macroblocks and tries to remove the ones which won't have any effect on the outcome of a certain block of macroblocks.
This is not a new feature in the JIT implementation, but previously a few (tons of) bugs prevented it from working on more complex codes than my Mandelbrot test.
In this release I have fixed every issue I have found so far with the optimization and it seems working quite nicely. You can boot the AmigaOS and it runs just fine, also games and demos will benefit from this feature too.
I was planing to do a comparison video where the speedup is clearly shown, but I haven't had too much time yet, so this is your job now, dear EUAEPPCJIT fans! Just post the links to the videos into the comments here. :)
PPC970 aka G5Not everything is sunshine and happiness, though. Supporting G5 processor architecture target turned to be much more complicated than I thought, especially because I don't have any hardware to test on.
In the previous release the MacOSX G5 binary was not working properly on G5 (neither on any other PowerPC as matter of fact). Thanks to Luigi Burdo for the report and Tobias Netzel (again) for the help with the compiler. This is fixed in this release, hopefully. (Fingers crossed, I still don't have hardware to test on.)
While the situation with the MorphOS G5 version is not that hunky-dory: as it seems there is no official compiler with G5 support yet in the MorphOS SDK and it is rather complicated and unreliable to compile any source for that processor. Until this situation is improved the G5 version for MorphOS won't be available from the beta binaries.
However, nothing stop you from compiling your own version from the sources, as these are always available at SourceForge.
UpcomingAs I mentioned: I postponed the fix for the block checksum to the next release and also picked up some things to do. You can find the planned list here:
I also had a look on what is planned for the first stable release and moved some items around the various milestones. If you are curious just click at the milestones on the Sourceforge page.