This project is dedicated to the memory of William Morris (aka Frags), who was the main contributor to the bounty but was unable to see the final result.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Test Kickstarts are kickin'

Finally, I managed to publish the fully working build environment for creating Kickstart files, you can find it in the project's SourceForge Subversion repository.

If you are looking for the binaries for these tests then check out the downloads.

Please make sure that if you would like to fool around with these files then you read the post about them here and the README files in the folders.

Some more tests are coming as soon as I have time to clean up the sources.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A year later...

Sooo... Here we are. *nervous giggle* The year just passed and probably you have guessed already that the project is not finished yet.

But worry not: things are moving forward (or rather crawling slowly). Well, this is the fate of the hobby projects, I guess.

About the recent state:
The environment for the compiling and the callback mechanism for the interpretive instruction emulation is close to be ready. Unfortunately, there is some glitch in the cache handling mechanism that prevents Kickstart from running under JIT compiled emulation. I have spent lot of time to find out why it is not working, but I was not able to find the issue yet.
On the other side: my Kickstart replacement test codes are working properly, so it is most likely just matter of time.
The addressing modes and the instructions are not finished yet, that won't take a very long time hopefully.

But let's not show up on the birthday party empty-handed: I have created a public SourceForge project, so now you can get the source code from there and try compiling it, if you didn't have anything better to do. (I mean: really nothing better at all. Like combing the cat, folding paper unicorns or develop an iPhone application.)
I left out the half-baked instruction emulation code for now, so this published version is for compiling callback code to the interpretive emulation functions only. Let me know if you found why the cache handling is not working... ;)

You can find the SourceForge project here:

From now on, as soon as something is mostly ready then I am going to commit it into the Subversion repository. Later on, the AmigaOS4 binaries will be uploaded to the project site (or binaries for other OSes if volunteers do the compiling).

Thank you for your patience...

Before I forgot, you need to change three things in your UAE config:
  • change the processor type to 68020: cpu_type=68020
  • specify some code cache size for the compiling (in MB): cachesize=8192
  • turn off constant jump direct compiling: comp_constjump=no